Academic Strategies Mentor Job Description
The Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning seeks members of the Classes of 2020 and 2021 to serve as Academic Strategies Mentors for the 2019-2020 academic year. The program provides information, workshops, and individual coaching to Yale College students on the skills and strategies central to becoming active, empowered learners at Yale.
Academic Strategies Mentors are peer academic coaches who help their fellow students develop and adapt strong strategies for use in their day-to-day college lives. Responsibilities of Academic Strategies Mentors include:
· Completing paid training in peer academic support methods
· Co-leading workshops in key academic strategies, including time management, working with faculty, managing heavy reading loads, and exam study strategies.
· New for 2019-2020: Leading small peer mentoring groups for first-gen/low-income students.
· Meeting 1-1 with peers to help them identify and practice strategies to make their academic work more efficient and effective.
· Advertising Academic Strategies Program events through social media, flyers, etc.
· Attending paid staff meetings and developing program content
The position pays $18/hr., and most ASP Mentors work 3-4 hours per week during the semester.
To apply, click here: ASP Mentor Application 2019-2020
Application Deadline: Extended to Wednesday, April 10 @ 11:59 PM.
Finalists will be contacted for interviews by Friday, April 13.
Questions? Contact Karin Gosselink, Academic Strategies Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.